|Title:||Self-Management Framework for Unmanned
|Affiliation:||Imperial College London|
|Supervisor:||Morris Sloman, Naranker Dulay|
PhD project description
Unmanned Autonomous Vehicles* (UXVs) need to adapt their behaviour to current context - location, activity, available resources such as battery power and available services such as quality of the communications link. They should be self-managing in that they have to recover or adapt to component failures and optimise performance to best utilise available resources. Additionally, a team of UXVs should cooperate to achieve a particular mission such as surveillance of a specific area or search for specific targets.
Our objective is to develop a framework which enables UXVs to manage themselves as an individual and as a team. Management of UXVs involves resource, task, behaviour, communication and team management. We make use of policy-based techniques to support adaptive management as the management strategy can be easily modified by changing policies without reloading the basic software within a UXV.
In brief, our UXV self-management framework addresses mission management, capability description, and communication management. A UXV has a capability description that describes its resources and the services it can perform. A commander, which could be a human or another UXV, receives a mission specification from its command base. Based on the mission specification and its capability description, a UXV is assigned to perform specific roles within the team which is assigned to a particular mission. This role assignment process results in a team of UXVs cooperating to achieve a certain goal. The team adapts to intermittent communication link disconnection as well as permanent UXV failures.
- Secure Dynamic Community Establishment In Coalitions, Eskindir Asmare, Naranker Dulay, Emil Lupu, Morris Sloman, Seraphin Calo, Jorge Lobo, To appear on Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), Orlando, USA, Oct. 2007
- Self-Management Framework for Unmanned Autonomous Vehicles, Eskindir Asmare and Morris Sloman, Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security Conference (AIMS), Oslo, Norway, June 2007
- Towards Self-managing Unmanned Autonomous Vehicles, Eskindir Asmare, Naranker Dulay, Emil Lupu, Morris Sloman, Systems Engineering for Autonomous Systems Defence Technology Centre Conference, Edinburgh, UK, July 2007
- Management Architecture and Mission Specification for Unmanned Autonomous Vehicles, Eskindir Asmare, Naranker Dulay, Hahnsang Kim, Emil Lupu, Morris Sloman, Systems Engineering for Autonomous Systems Defence Technology Centre Conference, Edinburgh, UK, July 2006
- [_URL_ Homepage] of Eskindir Asmare
- Publications of Eskindir Asmare, as indexed by DBLP